12/22/2009

Daintree and Cape Tribulation, Day 1

I got well into Cairns after an approx. 5 hour flight with transfer in Sydney. However, arrinving in Cairns, I needed to find out that my luggage did not make it and would hopefully be transfered to my accomodation the same night. Furthermore, checking some bookings at Peterpans, some travel agency, they closed my credit card as Peterpans exceeded my day limit. While getting some cash by traveller checks it finally started to pour down that heavily, I was wet all over arriving back in the office... yay.
Well, I survived, luckily. Somehow stuff like that freaks me out less than I would normally freak in such a situation, which is a good thing about travelling.

The next morning I got a bus up to Daintree for some cruise on the Daintree River, although crocodiles are hard to spot in the wet season here right now (indeed, we could not find one) and then moving further north to Cape Tribulation - where the rainforrest meets the Great Barrier Reef. One of the few places where natural world heritage sites "live" next to each other.
On a short guided rainforrest walk, we could spot some dragons, all kinds of nasty and big insects as well as a baby Python next to the path. After checking in to my accomodation, I decised for a 5 hour hike together with Lauren from Scotland. Walking from the beaches into the forrest for some waterhole swimming, we did not forget to look out for some crocodiles. None.
Treated ourselves with some nice red wine and some social time in the "local pub".

Well, they love toilets and bathrooms...
Fan Palmtree
Baby Python of approx. 3 m length
Up on Cape Tribulation
No swimming due to nasty jelly stingers and crocodiles

An artistic one
Where the Rainforrest meets the Great Barrier Reef
Night encounters










Keine Kommentare: